Monday, January 13, 2014

Of cookie carousels and cupcake wars


There is a cartoon hyperbole that floats around from time to time in which the Air Force is put in the position of holding bake sales to pay for the production of a bomber. There is a part of each of us that thinks, “Wouldn’t that be nice if the taxes we pay for bombers were instead used to pay for those things we otherwise support with bake sales and car washes?” We get some satisfaction with this thought for a couple of reasons. First, we are disappointed at the thought of paying for instruments of war and paying dearly for them, particularly when we have so little knowledge about and control over the situation. Second, we often seem to spend so much time and energy paying for those “little things” to support the activities of our children and community that we think perhaps the Federal government could be a little more help.

All argument about our country’s international policies aside, our Catholic social teaching would instruct us through the principle of subsidiarity that national defense is generally within the realm of the federal government. Clearly bake sales are out of the question. What I would like to focus on though is what this principle can tell us about the education and welfare of our children and our community. The principle of subsidiarity states that, in order to protect basic justice, government should undertake only those initiatives which exceed the capacity of individuals or private groups acting independently. So I would ask whether I want the government involved in the financing of those “little things” that we pay for with bake sales, car washes and auctions. What do I give up when I allow this?

In order to respond to that question I have to first define a well-functioning community. I would say that such a community is first and foremost comprised of individuals that show love and respect for one another. I come to love and respect others in my community when I come to know them and understand their uniqueness. I can only do this when I live among them and learn of their needs and desires. It is only then that I can wisely and with charity contribute my time, treasure and talents to this community of which I am now genuinely a part.

So this brings me to cookie carousels, cupcake wars and school auctions. Yes, these are functions that take a great deal of time and energy and sometimes we ask if it is worth all of the energy we put into it. Aren’t these events functions of the community in which we learn more about each other and the cause for which we are working? Don’t these events give us a better sense of belonging to the community and “ownership” in its welfare?

This is the other end of the principle of subsidiarity. We care for our community best when we know it, belong to it and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment