Friday, February 7, 2014

Facing the truth

It will hurt me and I may be drawn into becoming angry and defensive if someone points their finger at me and calls me evil. I know that even though I am a sinner and therefore have the capacity for evil, I am a good person because of the graces that God has bestowed upon me. I don't want someone to pour scorn on my capacity for good that is such a precious gift from my Lord and who I know loves me more than I can ever possibly deserve.

A report has been published by a committee established by the United Nations that identifies the Catholic Church as an institution that has allowed the perpetration of sex crimes against children. It is a condemnation that calls for a response and corrective action by the Church. Not surprisingly there are those in recent days who have all too gleefully piled on to publish commentary and opinion condemning the Church as an evil institution. Also not surprisingly I find myself being pulled to the edge of being angry and defensive when I read these statements. I am sure this is the same reaction of many of my Catholic friends.

This might be a good time to look to the fundamentals. First, we know that evil perpetuates evil and will attempt to cloak itself to appear to be seeking the good. Someone may claim to be championing the protection of innocent children, but if they are seeking to annul the value of the Church by asserting that it is an evil institution, then this is simply an evil act dressed up to look like righteous indignation. On the other hand, a Bishop may claim that he is being fatherly and forgiving to a prodigal priest, but if he sidesteps the civil authorities and places children in harm's way, then this is simply an evil act dressed up to look like pastoral care. Note that I have not claimed that either individual is evil or even intended to do evil, but that their actions perpetuate the evil they mean to overcome.

Second, we know that the best way to root out evil is to seek the truth. That means keeping our eyes on the Lord and not becoming angry or defensive about our own reputation or the reputation of the Church. This means for the Church to come forth openly and honestly, righting what can be made right, seeking forgiveness and doing all that can be done to avoid such sins in the future. If that has the ring of the confessional about it, it should. That is what it means to follow our Lord.

I am so very grateful to Bishop Thomas for his actions in seeking the truth, however painful or disruptive that may be, and leading the Diocese to forgiveness and healing. He knows the Holy Spirit dwells with the Church and with his eyes on Christ the scorn will be endured and evil overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment